I am not vegan or even vegetarian, but I am a huge supporter of the benefits of following a more plant based diet. Research has shown lower rates of obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes are associated with vegetarian diets. Vegetarian entrees tend to be higher in fiber, meaning that you will feel more full for longer, and helps with bowel function. If, however, you are like me, and cannot live without meat and dairy, then you can get those same benefits just from incorporating some "meatless" dishes into your weekly meal plan.
This vegan egg salad is super easy (takes only 5 minutes to whip up if you are using canned chickpeas and lentils) and is drool worthy! Not only is it delicious in a sandwich, but I also throw it on salads or use as a vegetable dip.
I hope you enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes (if using canned ingredients), 25 minutes if using dried lentils
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned, drained)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh dill to taste (I used approx. 3 tbsp)
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 small pickle, finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients except celery and pickle in a food processor. Process for approximately 3 minutes, or until coarsely ground.
- Transfer chickpea/lentil mash to a bowl and mix in pickles and celery.
- Serve up between 2 slices of your favourite whole grain bread. Additional toppings that go great include diced red pepper, bean sprouts, grated carrots, and spinach. Not a fan of sandwiches? Then serve it up on a salad or use it as a dip!