Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday. I think because it was always the first long weekend after the summer, and because the time of year incorporates so many of my favourite flavours... cinnamon, pumpkin, squash, nutmeg. What is there not to love about a holiday that gives you an extra day off work, an excuse to visit with friends and family and all of those delicious fall foods? This pumpkin dessert hummus is a twist on my favourite, the classic cookie dough chickpea dip. It tastes like pumpkin pie, without the added sugars and fat. Serve it with apple slices or mix it with plain greek yogurt and you have yourself a delicious (and healthy) indulgence!
Prep Time: 10 minutes + approx. 8 hours for dates to soak
- 1 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 540mL can chickpeas (no salt)
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 tbsp milk/alternative (optional depending on desired thickness)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine dates and water in medium bowl. Leave to soak for 8 hours or overnight
- Mix dates and their soaking liquid with all other ingredients in a food processor. Puree for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth. If you would like the final product to be thinner add more milk or vice versa.
- Can be served a multitude of ways - add a dollop of plain greek yogurt and a sprinkle of walnuts, serve with apples and graham crackers or eat it just plain! Any way, you cannot go wrong with this one!!