I adore dill. It is light, refreshing and delicious! And when it is combined with lemon? Divine! My taste buds go crazy for some lemon and dill. The best part, is that because of the tangy lemon and dill, I find that this recipe needs no salt added. Perfect for anyone limiting their sodium intake!
In case you haven’t noticed, this recipe has tofu in it. For many of those non-vegan/vegetarian people out there, tofu seems like a boring thing to cook with. I assure you that this recipe is packed with flavour, and will make you rethink tofu. By marinating the tofu in lemon juice and dill, each and every bite has a tangy taste. It is such a refreshing change for the taste buds, and is an awesome alternative for meat eaters. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Preparation: 30 minutes + at least 30 minutes to marinate
- 2 pack extra firm tofu
- 2 lemons
- 1 bunch dill (plus extra if you love it)
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 onion
- 1 zucchini squash
- 1 red pepper
- 8 small mushrooms
- olive oil
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1 cup water
- Cut tofu into approximately 1 inch cubes and place in Ziploc bag or container. Add the juice from 1 lemon and approximately 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or more (the longer it marinates, the stronger flavour, however I have done this with almost no marinating if I am rushed).
- Peel and dice acorn squash. Dice zucchini, onion, mushroom and red pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on a medium setting. Pour tofu with lemon juice into heated pan and fry for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once tofu begins to become crisp, add onion. Cook until opaque, approximately 5 minutes. (If space in your pan is limited, you can remove the tofu to be re-added in later). Add acorn squash and leave to cook for 5-7 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add remaining vegetables to pan along with the juice of 1 more lemon and approximately 2 tbsp cut fresh dill. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium until vegetables begin to soften.
- While waiting for vegetables to cook, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add 1 cup dry couscous, cover and remove from heat. Wait 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Mix couscous into vegetable and tofu mixture. Serve hot, with fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon juice to garnish.